Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Love/Hate

I have such a love/hate relationship with Clomid. I love it because it makes my body work the way it's supposed to, but I hate it because it makes me feel so awful! This is the fourth time I have used it, and I have had different side effects each time. So weird!

The first time, I actually felt okay. I didn't have any uncomfortable side effects. This could be because I used such a low dose.

The second time, I had really bad cramps and was super, super weepy. All. The. Time.

The third was the worst with terrible hot flashes. I felt like a menopausal woman in the south during June.

This time, it's terrible headaches, mood swings, and heartburn. The headaches are the worst because the only thing I'm allowed to take is acetaminophen, which isn't really enough to kick the bad ones! It's really bumming me out. I'm hoping this time will work so I don't have to see what future courses bring!

One thing they all have in common is the crampy, sharp pains right before and during ovulation. Clomid can really make you feel it all!

I went in for my water ultrasound today. It all looked good except for one teeny tiny polyp low down by the cervix. Luckily, it's so low down that it shouldn't affect pregnancy or prevent implantation. If I miscarry again, we'll take another look and consider having it removed with a simple surgery.

We also got to take a look and see how things are going, thanks to the Clomid. We saw two follicles: one on the right measuring 14mm, and one on the left measuring 15mm. If they mature at an average rate, they'll be ready by Friday. Hooray! It looks like when I ovulate we will have one egg dropped from either side, since usually only one side ovulates. (Most likely no twins this time). We also cleared up some of my confusion involving the OPK and its purpose. I'm to use the kit, and if I see a positive, then that's it! No need for the trigger. But, if I test and don't see a positive by Friday, I have to go back to the doctor on Saturday to make double sure they are matured, and then we'll do the trigger shot to get it all started.

What I have learned about treatment is that I can't anticipate anything. Everything has to be planned around my unpredictable body. It's very frustrating to know that I will need to go see the doctor soon, or do something soon, and not know when. That's just the planner in me! I'm lucky to have a job where I can just take off any day I need and not have to find someone to cover for me, or run it through a boss. I couldn't imagine juggling a job and a treatment schedule like this.

No comments: